Kylie Jenner has issued a statement after she was slammed as being “insensitive” for posting several videos of the crowd at her partner Travis Scott’s Astroworld festival, where eight people died over the weekend.
Police have said eight people, including a 14-year-old, died and dozens of other people were injured after the packed and chaotic crowd at the rapper’s concert surged toward the stage, crushing people.
During the concert, Jenner, who is pregnant with the couple’s second child, posted several videos of the concert on Instagram.
In one video, an ambulance could be seen making its way through the tightly packed crowd of about 50,000 people.
At the time, Jenner claims she was unaware there had been any fatalities.
“Travis and I are broken and devastated,” she said in a statement on Instagram.
“My thoughts and prayers are with all who lost their lives, were injured or affected in anyway by (Friday’s) events.
“And also for Travis who I know cares deeply for his fans and the Houston community.
“I want to make it clear we weren’t aware of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and in no world would have continued filming or performing.
“I am sending my deepest condolences to all the families during this difficult time and will be praying for the healing of everyone who has been impacted.”
While Jenner was slammed for posting the videos, Scott was criticised for not stopping the show earlier.
In footage posted on social media, attendees can be seen yelling for help and screaming to stop the show.
A video reconstruction by The Washington Post shows the concert stopped about an hour after concertgoers were visibly in distress.
According to the outlet, Scott paused his set at least four times.
“Shame on Travis Scott. He saw what was happening and he kept going when he had the power to stop it immediately,” one person wrote on Twitter.
“And I expect nothing more from Kylie Jenner defending Travis.
“There are videos of Travis Scott watching them take away unconscious people. He’s asking people to contact local authorities with any information. His own eyes witnessed what was happening.”
The couple’s daughter Stormi and Jenner’s sister Kendall were also in attendance.
They were uninjured.
Scott broke his own silence about the tragedy earlier, saying he was “absolutely devastated” by it.
“I am absolutely devastated by what took place last night,” he said on Twitter.
“My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival. Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life.
“I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need.”
“Thank you Houston PD, Fire Department and NRG Park for their immediate response and support.”
It has been speculated that an alleged drug spiking may have caused the crowd surge.
Houston Police Department Executive Assistant Chief Larry Satterwhite, who was near the front of the concert, said at a news conference that the situation had developed quickly.
“It seems like it happened with just over the course of a few minutes — suddenly we had several people down on the ground experiencing some type of cardiac arrest or some type of medical episode,” he said.
“We immediately started doing CPR.”
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said “one of the narratives” going around is that an individual at the festival was injecting people with drugs.
“We do have a report of a security officer … that he was reaching over to restrain or grab a citizen and he felt a prick in his neck,” Finner said.
The security officer went unconscious and was administered Narcan – which is a medication used to revive people who’ve overdosed on opioids – and was revived, according to Finner.
The medical staff did notice a needle prick on the security officer’s neck, he said.
Peña, the Houston fire chief, said there were “several instances” when Narcan had to be administered at the scene but did not provide further details.
– with NBC